Sunday, July 28, 2013

The Daily Dahl 7/28/13

The Daily Dahl - Sunday Edition
28 July 2013

With my new book club, reading books before they are made into films, I became curious about past film adaptations. I wonder how book-to-movie films have fared over the years. Recently, it seems a high percentage of film adaptations come from popular young adult novels. While I enjoy a fast-paced paranormal fiction as much as the next, I wonder what the purpose of so many film adaptations for this specific genre may be. I don't have any kind of answer, I'm simply musing. Is this what sells? Is this what the next generation of movie-goers wants to see? It must be. 

Some older films based on books that I loved include The Godfather, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Blade Runner, and Misery. 

Recently, some great films have included Perks of Being a Wallflower, Silver Linings Playbook,Life of Pi, The Great Gatsby, and pretty much all of the Harry Potter films. 

I'm really excited for some upcoming movies this year too - Sea of Monsters comes out soon and looks adventurous, I'm thrilled for Ender's Game, and at the end of the year I look forward to The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.

Share your favorites! Any book-to-film adaptations that really bombed? I'm curious about your opinions.

Here's a great post about some of the top 100 books made into films, and if you're interested what's upcoming, check out this list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio