Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Book Review: Blood-kissed Sky

Blood-Kissed Sky (Darkness Before Dawn #2)
by J.A London
Published by: HarperTeen
Pages: 338
Source: Library



Goodreads Description:
 
There was nowhere left to hide.

I thought vampires were our enemies - they controlled our lives, isolated our cities, and demanded our blood - until I meet Victor. With Victor taking over as the new Lord Valentine, things were supposed to get better. Instead, they're worse than ever.

Day Walkers, a new breed of vampires who can walk in the sun, are terrorizing the city. Blood supplies are low, and if Victor's vampires don't get enough, they will become infected with the Thirst - a disease that will turn them into mindless killers.

To stop it, I must journey across the desolate wasteland to the very place where the sickness began. I can only hope that the answers that await me are enough to save us all... before it's too late. 

My Review:
I don't have too much to say about this book. It was a difficult one for me to get through. I remember liking the first book, but once I started reading this sequel it seemed like everything went downhill. 

The plot was slow and difficult to get through. I wasn't captured by any of the events. Possibly because the plot was incredibly predictable. The authors might as well have put "this is foreshadowing. Right here. look." throughout the chapters because the foreshadowing was so blunt and tactless it made reading this book a bore. 

The characters were equally boring and ordinary. Each character seems inconsistent. Dawn's feelings are constantly changing, her leadership is always in question, and she's still spoiled. I can't say much better for Teagan or Michael. I did really like some of the vampire developments. Sin and the Carroltons had a slight twist in character that complicated them and  made them more intriguing; I wanted to learn more about them. I hope Victor returns in the next book too, to see how he develops as a the new overlord. I didn't think there was enough of Victor in this story in his new position, I really wanted to read more about how he was going to change the city of Denver. 

There were a couple of good chase scenes and scares in this novel that were exciting to read. I can't say I completely hated this book. It definitely had its moments of interest, although rare. I'm in no hurry to read the final book, although I probably will read it. It would be nice to have a conclusion to this story. I'm hoping the third book has more focus on the vampire families to give the story a new edge. This novel was too bland and forgettable. 

I give Blood-Kissed Sky two out of five foxes

1 comment:


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio